Senior Sendoff a Success in Come-From-Behind Win over Buccaneers
WINTER PARK, Fla. (November 11, 2017) – Finding themselves trailing by two sets to open the evening, the Rollins volleyball team came from behind to earn a thrilling five set victory over Barry University on Saturday night in Warden Arena. The 3-2 (23-25, 23-25, 25-22, 25-23, 25-13) win marks the second consecutive year the Tars have fought back to take down the Bucs in five-set fashion to send off the senior class on a high note.
The win snaps a seven match skid for the Tars, and marks the second straight season the Tars have defeated the Buccaneers by a final score of 3-2 in Warden Arena. Rollins advances its record to 9-17 overall and 6-13 in Sunshine State Conference action, while the Bucs fall to a record of 10-13 and 6-12 in SSC play.
Three Tars led the team with double-digit kills totals, headed up by senior Shannon McDonough with a match high 17 on the night. Madison Jenkins notched 12 kills, followed by Rachel Fletcher with 11. McDonough earned a double-double, adding 19 digs on the night, while senior Rebecca Wilson led the team in digs with 22. Fletcher also notched a double-double as she added 12 digs, while Cassidy Cason earned a double-double of her own with 11 digs and a match high 47 assists. Jaime Becker added 10 digs of her own, and led the match in service aces with four. Rollins posted up 22 blocks as a team, led by Cason and Kerra Tirado with six apiece, while Mary Bethany Vincent put up five blocks of her own.
Barry was led by Kristina Filimonova with 16 kills on the night, followed closely by Jaeda Allen with 15, and Kishara Gordon with 13. Juliana Tirabassi dished out a team high 30 assists, while Maegan Cuesta earned 27 on the night. The Bucs saw a total of two service aces throughout the match, with both Genesis Castillo and Filimonova earning one on the day. Madison Yarborough amassed a team high 23 digs, while Castillo earned 13 and Cuesta tallied 10. The Bucs totaled 25 total blocks as a team, led by Kishara Gordon and Filimonova with six each, including Filimonova's lone solo block.
COACH ROBINSON'S THOUGHTS:
"What an incredible way for this class to finish on their home court! This group has been through so much adversity and yet continued to push for excellence every day, so it was so great to see them come out victorious on their senior night. I really can't express how proud of them I am tonight."
- The victory over Barry marks the second straight season the Tars have defeated Barry in a thrilling five-set win on Senior Day.
- Last season, Rollins took down Barry by a final tally of 3-2 (25-21, 23-25, 25-16, 25-21, 15-13) on November 19, 2016
- Rollins and Barry have now matched up 62 times, with the Bucs leading the all-time series, 26-36.
- McDonough earned her 23rd game of the season with double-digit kills, and picked up her 17th double-double of her senior year.
- Cassidy Cason notched her eighth double-double of her sophomore campaign
- Rachel Fletcher tallied a season high 11 kills, and notched her first double-double of the season as she added 12 digs.
- The score was tied on 32 different occasions, including 11 times in the fourth set. The Lead changed hands nine times, including three times in the second set.
- Date: Friday | November 17, 2017
- Opponent: Lynn University
- Location: de Hoernle Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
- Time: 7:00 p.m.
- Coverage: VIDEO | LIVE STATS
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.